John R. Ohnoutka, MD, Department of Anesthesiology – University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
This PBLD was peer-reviewed by a panel of experts from the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP) and has been endorsed by the SOAP Education Committee.
Learners should identify a faculty mentor and walk through the case together, after perusing the pre-course work. Tweet your comments and questions using the buttons provided in each question, and experts will weigh in.
Required Pre-Session Materials:
- James Geake, George Tay, Leonie Callway and Scott C. Bell (2014). Pregnancy and cystic fibrosis: Approach to contemporary management. Obstetric Medicine, 7(4) 147-155
- M. Deighan, S. Ash, R. McMorrow (2013). Anaesthesia for parturients with severe cystic fibrosis: a case series. International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia, 23(1) 75-79
- Edmund M.T. Lau, Carmel Moriarty, Robert Ogle, Peter T. Bye (2010). Pregnancy and Cystic Fibrosis. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, 11(2) 90-94
At the conclusion of the session, the fellow will be able to:
- Identify common extra pulmonary manifestations of advanced cystic fibrosis
- Describe the most useful predictor of maternal CF complications and whether its use is warranted as an absolute cutoff for pregnancy
- List the absolute and relative contraindications for pregnancy in a patient with cystic fibrosis
- Discuss anesthetic management of the term parturient with cystic fibrosis
- Discuss the utility of ExtraCorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) in patients with severe cystic fibrosis
Instructions for Faculty Mentor
Before proceeding with the case, perform an assessment of your fellow’s prior review of the teaching materials and current understanding of the topic. Review key points of learning, clarify any questions, and identify areas for further investigation by the fellow.