Author: John R. Ohnoutka, M.D.
Institution: Department of Anesthesiology – University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
Required Pre-Session Materials:
- Stephanie Lim and Jennifer Lucero (2017). Obstetric and Anesthetic Approaches to External Cephalic Version. Anesthesiology Clin 35, 81-94
- Carolyn F. Weiniger (2013). Analgesia/Anesthesia for External Cephalic Version. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 26: 278-287
At the conclusion of the session, the fellow will be able to:
- Summarize the incidence of breech presentations and the percentage of breeches delivered by cesarean section.
- Appraise factors associated with a successful external cephalic version (ECV) and overall success rate of ECV
- Explain contraindications for ECV
- Recommend anesthetic options for ECV including optimal dosing of intrathecal local anesthetic
- Evaluate the cost-effectiveness use of neuraxial anesthesia for ECV