Neeti Sadana, MD
Institution: The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
This PBLD was peer-reviewed by a panel of experts from the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP) and has been endorsed by the SOAP Education Committee.
- Raymond BL, Kook BT, Richardson MG. The Opioid Epidemic and Pregnancy: Implications for anesthetic care. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 2018, 31:243–250.
- Pan A, Zakowski M. Peripartum Anesthetic Management of the Opioid-tolerant or Buprenorphine/Suboxone-dependent Patient. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology Volume 60, Number 2, 447–458.
- Maeda A, Bateman BT, Clancy CR et al. Opioid Abuse and Dependence during Pregnancy Temporal Trends and Obstetrical Outcomes. Anesthesiology 2014; 121:1158-65.
At the conclusion of this session, the clinician will be able to:
1. Understand the obstetric anesthesia challenges in the drug-abusing parturient
2. Differentiate other pregnancy –related comorbidities that resemble drug use
Instructions for faculty mentor:
Before proceeding with the case, perform an assessment of your fellow’s prior review of the teaching materials and current understanding of the topic. Review key points of learning, clarify any questions, and identify areas for further investigation by the fellow.